Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Book Club: Aquirax Uno- Posters 1959-1975

I found this Aquirax Uno book at the Art Book Fair last October and I’ve been obsessed with his work ever since. I don’t know much about Mr. Uno because I can’t read Japanese and all I can find is this crap Wikipedia entry:

Aquirax Uno, also known as Akira Uno (宇野 亜喜良, Uno Akira?, born March 13, 1934) is a Japanese graphic artist, illustrator and painter. His work is characterized by fantastic visuals, capricious and sensuous line flow, flamboyant (and occasionally grotesque) eroticism, and frequent use of collage and bright colors. Uno was prominently involved with the Japanese underground art of 1960es-1970es, and is particularly notable for his collaborations with Shuji Terayama and his experimental theater Tenjo Sajiki.

As you can see, he is quite preoccupied with depressed looking waifs (how contemporary!) but he does draw the occasional cat as evidenced by this sweet t-shirt in his web store. I would love to purchase said t-shirt but once again my lack of familiarity with the Japanese language has totally screwed me. Boo.







No comments:

Post a Comment